- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- CW : Persuasive Communication
- Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam
Name: Gert-Jan de Bruijn
MSc: 2002, University Utrecht
PhD: 2007, Maastricht University
Interests: My research expertise and interest focus on the integration of communication technologies and behavior change with regard to health promotion. My main interests focus on theory testing and development of interventions for exercise and physical activity, dietary intake, smoking and alcohol consumption and sexual health. Within these domains, I employ experimental and survey designs, meta-analyses, and increasingly artificial intelligence.
Research: I am principal investigator, work package leader, and co-applicant of research projects integrating new communication technologies with health. These projects include topics such as chatbots/conversational agents to promote physical activity and sexual health, the use of virtual realities to stimulate healthy dietary intake and healthy food purchases, and influence smoking behavior, big data analyses on health and health information on these new media, and using technologies and AI to study emergent diseases, such as AMR. These projects are funded by H2020, ZonMw, NWO, the Netherlands Heart Foundation, and the Diabetes Foundation. I am a member of the editorial team of the European Journal of Health Communication and associate editor at BMC Psychology.
Link: UvA profile
– Supreme Nudge, ZonMw/ NHS funding, 2400K EUR (2017-2022)
– Active4Life, ZonMw funding, 854K EUR (2019-2023)
– Snowdrop, NWO Data2Person funding, 425K EUR (2018-2022).
– When the shopping gets tough, the tough train in Virtual reality, ZonMw/ Diabetes Foundation, 100K EUR (2018-current)
– Charge your Brainzzz 2.0, ZonMw funding, 449K EUR (2020-current)
– Look Who’s Talking, NWO Digitalisering funding, 750K (2020-2024)
– SENTENCES: Social Media Analysis to Promote Cancer Screening. ZonMw Early Detection funding, 399K EUR (2021 starting date).
– DARTBAC. NWA Onderzoek op Routes door Consortia, 9700K EUR (start zomer 2021).
– TIMELY. H2020 Digital Transformation in Health and Care, 5700K EUR (start begin 2021).