- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- CW : Persuasive Communication
- Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam
Name: Gert-Jan de Bruijn
MSc: 2002, University Utrecht
PhD: 2007, Maastricht University
Interests: My research expertise and interest focus on the use of emergent technologies for developing and evaluating (strategic) communication effects, primarily for health and health-related behaviours. My research focuses on lifestyle behaviours, noncommunicable diseases, and emergent public health issues, such as antimicrobial resistance.
Research: I am principal investigator, work package leader, and co-applicant of research projects (total grant allocation > 20 million EUR) using emerging communication technologies with strategic health communication. Several communication technologies I use in these projects are chatbots / conversational agents, virtual reality, wearables and phone-based technologies. I also focus on artificial intelligence techniques, including natural language processing of structured and unstructured (media) data and machine learning. I am a member of the editorial team of the European Journal of Health Communication and associate editor at BMC Psychology.
My research is funded by H2020, ZonMw, NWO, the Netherlands Heart Foundation, and the Diabetes Foundation. I currently supervise 9 PhD candidates.
Link: UvA profile
– Google Scholar: (current h-index: 40, 6048 citaties)
– Supreme Nudge, ZonMw/ NHS funding, 2400K EUR (2017-2022)
– Active4Life, ZonMw funding, 854K EUR (2019-2023)
– Snowdrop, NWO Data2Person funding, 425K EUR (2018-2022).
– When the shopping gets tough, the tough train in Virtual reality, ZonMw/ Diabetes Foundation, 100K EUR (2018-current)
– Charge your Brainzzz 2.0, ZonMw funding, 449K EUR (2020-current)
– Look Who’s Talking, NWO Digitalisering funding, 750K (2020-2024)
– SENTENCES: Social Media Analysis to Promote Cancer Screening. ZonMw Early Detection funding, 399K EUR (2021 – 2025).
– DARTBAC. NWA Onderzoek op Routes door Consortia, 9700K EUR (2021 – 2027).
– TIMELY. H2020 Digital Transformation in Health and Care, 5700K EUR (2021 – 2025).
– The Perils of Peer Advice on Social Media. Doc.CH SNG Grant PhD funding (2021 – 2025).